QED Lunch Debate - EU Gambling Market
Public Health & Gambling Addiction - Governance of Gambling in the Public Interest
8 November 2011, 12.15-15.00
Le Meridien Hotel, Carrefour de l'Europe 3, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Possible discussion points:
- What role for the EU in protecting consumers?
- The role of regulation, industry CSR and consumer advocacy in good governance.
- Developing a system to measure gambling participation as a means to evidence-based policy-making.
- Existing models of regulations in the public.
- How to involve the NGO sector in representing/advocating on behalf of the consumers and the vulnerable?
- Does supply of gambling correlate with gambling addiction figures?
- Developing European methods and standards to collect information on prevalence.
Christofer Fjellner Member of the European Parliament
Malcolm Bruce Director of Corporate Responsibility, Betfair
Michael Bay Jørsel Danish Centre for Gambling Addiction
Heather Wardle Research Director, National Centre for Social Research, University of Glasgow
Moderator: Dr Henrietta Bowden-Jones National Problem Gambling Clinic, UK